May is Skin Cancer Awareness month. Skin cancer is the most common of all cancers with roughly 3.5 million cases of skin cancer diagnosed in the U.S. alone each year. Did you know that the window films that we offer at Adams Window Tinting can reduce 99% of the UV rays hitting the glass? In addition, are you aware that window film is recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as a product that offers effective UV sun protection?
While many people do not think about protecting their skin while riding in their car or when they are inside of a building, this is what Perry Robins, MD, President of The Skin Cancer Foundation has to say about the topic, “To see the damage that untreated glass can do, take a close look at the furnishings in your home that are hit by direct sunlight. If the sun has faded the color of your sofa, it can just as easily damage your skin when you sit there.”
In observance of Skin Cancer Awareness Month, we wanted to share the tips that The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends everyone adopt as part of a complete year-round sun protection regimen.
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Do not burn.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
To find out more about how window films can be used to protect you and your family against the dangers of the sun click HERE
Contact us today at (405) 787-6798 to find out how professionally installed window film can be part of your skin care program. We would be happy to provide you with a completely free, no obligation assessment and estimate of implementing a window film solution on your vehicle, home or office.